Carbon dioxide or CO2 is one of the most important elements in the health of plants in a controlled environment, allowing it to maximize yield. To make sure that the grow room has the right level, it is important that you invest in the best CO2 regulator.
The right CO2 regulator is instrumental in making sure that the plants receive the suitable amount of carbon dioxide. This is critical to support photosynthetic activity, especially because there is no natural sunlight.
In the rest of this best CO2 regulator guide, we will briefly go through some of the top options that are available on the market, as well as the reasons why they are exceptional. More so, we will also talk about the important things you need to know about the role of carbon dioxide in plants and the important considerations in shopping for the perfect product.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Carbon Dioxide in Grow Rooms
- Our Top Picks for the Best CO2 Regulator on Amazon 2021
- The Importance of Controlling Carbon Dioxide
- The Right Level of CO2 in a Grow Room
- Signs that your Grow Room Needs More CO2
- Maximizing CO2 in the Grow Room
- Choosing the Best CO2 Regulator
The Importance of Carbon Dioxide in Grow Rooms
The most significant reason why you need carbon dioxide in the grow room is to make sure that your plants will grow. Especially for marijuana growers, this also makes sure that the yield will be maximized. If your previous harvest seems to be underwhelming, consider increasing the CO2 level next time.
With the right level of carbon dioxide in a controlled grow tent, one of the benefits is that there will be increased moisture. In turn, this will improve the resiliency of the plants. It lessens the possibility that it will be prone to pests and diseases. It gets rid of spider mites and whiteflies, among others. The plants won’t easily dry out as well.
Whether it is during the vegetative or the flowering stage, adding CO2 will be greatly beneficial for your plants.
Our Top Picks for the Best CO2 Regulator on Amazon 2021
In this section, we will have a rundown of some of the top options available for the best CO2 monitor, as well as the things that make them our favorites.
#1 (Editors’ Choice) MOD Complete Hydroponics CO2 Regulator
Searching for the best way to ensure the health of the plants in the grow room? This is one of the most promising, making sure that the CO2 level is just right to sustain whatever it is that you are growing.
One thing that we loved about this product is the brass construction, which can provide you with the confidence that it will be long-lasting.
Aside from the regulator, the kit is complete with the other things that you will need, such as solenoid valve, flow gauge, and plastic tubing.
#2. CO2Meter RAD-0501 Day Night CO2 Monitor and Controller
With the use of this product, you will have the freedom to set the level of carbon dioxide that is preferred in the grow room. Like having a mind of its own, it automatically supplies power to the CO2 generator once it is able to sense that the CO2 is lower than the minimum requirement. Once it reaches the maximum level, on the other hand, it shuts down the CO2 generator.
The built-in photo sensor is one of the exceptional features of this product. With the latter, it turns off on its own once it is able to sense darkness. This makes it a big cost-saving feature since it makes sure that CO2 is generated only when it is needed.
If you are looking for one that is user-friendly, this can also prove to be a top pick. All mounting hardware and installation are also included. The assembly can be completed in a snap even without the help of a pro.
#3. VIVOSUN Hydroponics CO2 Regulator
Made by a company that specializes in equipment used for hydroponics, this CO2 regular has an abundance of premium features that will make it worth considering. It has a brass construction, providing an assurance that it will stay durable even through the years.
This comes as a kit with the essentials that will be needed for monitoring the level of carbon dioxide in a controlled environment. Aside from the regulator, it also has a flow gauge, solenoid valve, and plastic tubing.
#4. Titan Controls Preset CO2 Monitor and Regulator
If you are on the lookout for a CO2 regulator that is designed in such a way that it is user-friendly, make sure to include this on your list. Once it is plugged, it is ready to use.
With the built-in photocell, similar to the other top-notch options that you can find on the market, it will provide CO2 only during daylight when it is needed the most. Otherwise, it shuts down on its own, which makes it excellent in terms of efficiency.
This also comes with a built-in self-calibration feature. Because of this, you can be confident that it will deliver an accurate performance.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for three years, which can provide you with peace of mind.
#5. SPL CO2 Regulator Emitter System
This is another affordable option that is inclusive of the things that you will need for monitoring CO2 in the grow room. Your purchase already comes with a regulator, power cable, flow gauge, solenoid valve, and an air line.
With the precision flow gauge that is included in the kit, it is possible to generate anywhere from .5 to 15 standard cubic feet per hour of carbon dioxide.
#6. ProLabs CO2 Regulator
Looking at the technical specifications of this regulator, it has the ability to produce as much as .5 to 15 standard cubic feet per hour of carbon dioxide, which is similar to what you can expect from the product that has been mentioned above.
The full-brass construction is also a good thing, providing you with the confidence that it will withstand years of use.
Most importantly, the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for four years, which is one of the longest from the options that I saw on the market.
The Importance of Controlling Carbon Dioxide
Adding CO2 in a grow room can be costly, especially if you are a commercial grower. It can take a toll on your budget in the long run. For this reason, you need to control the level of carbon dioxide, making it stop when the suitable level has already been reached. The energy costs can also be too much to handle for some, which is why you need to control it.
While CO2 is important to keep the plants healthy, there is also no denying that when it is uncontrolled, the environment can be toxic. This can do more harm than good to your plants. A CO2 level that is too high can affect not only plants but even animals and humans.
The Right Level of CO2 in a Grow Room
Outdoors, the normal CO2 level is 400 parts per million or PPM. This can be higher or lower, which will depend on whether you are living in an urban or rural area. When the CO2 level is below 200 PPM, it will have negative effects on the growth of the plant. On the other hand, when it is more than 2,000 PPM, it can already kill the plants. If it reaches above 5,000 PPM, it can be harmful to humans.
According to gardening experts, the ideal level of CO2 is anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 PPM. However, keep in mind that this will depend on a number of factors. One of the most important is the size of the grow room that you have. The larger the grow room is, the higher is the amount of the CO2 that you will need.
Signs that your Grow Room Needs More CO2
Do you need more CO2 in the grow room? These are some of the things that will be indicative of the need to increase its level:
- The plants are not growing despite all the efforts that you have exerted. You might have installed the right grow lights and provided the essential nutrients, but if a healthy growth is still not apparent, more CO2 might be needed.
- The same thing can be true when it is taking a long time before the plant reaches the flowering stage.
- Plants die easily when they have low CO2 levels, despite the fact that you are providing it with tender loving care.
- When the yield is below the amount that you are expecting, take this as another sign that the grow room needs more CO2. If the CO2 level is elevated at the right level, the yields can increase by as much as 25%.
Maximizing CO2 in the Grow Room
To make the most out of the CO2 in the grow room and to be sure that it will have a substantial positive effect, here are some of the most important tips to keep in mind:
- Using air-cooled lights equipped with glass inserts will be a big help. Regardless of how long you leave the light turned on, it will not produce too much heat. In fact, the heat production can be minimized by as much as half, which will also prevent the carbon dioxide level from dropping.
- If you are using fertilizers, it will also help if you will increase the ratio of ammonium to nitrate.
- Relative humidity should be maintained at an average of 40 to 60%. When the humidity is low, the leaf stomata will close and this will result in the reduction of carbon dioxide intake.
- Keeping the right temperature in the grow room is also essential to maximize the CO2. It would be best for the temperature to be not lower than 18 degrees Celsius and not more than 30 degrees Celsius.
- You should also pay attention to light intensity. The absorption of CO2 can be maximized if the lights are more intense, but you have to make sure that they do not produce too much heat.
Choosing the Best CO2 Regulator
As you try to narrow down your choices, to increase the likelihood that you will end up with a product that you won’t regret choosing, here are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Materials: Brass is the main material that is used in most of the products that will be listed in the rest of this guide. Pick one that is made of a high-quality material that will not be easily damaged by external factors. An exceptional casing is a must as a protection from dust and moisture.
- Ease of Use: A CO2 regulator is just one part of a system. With this, make sure that it is user-friendly. The manufacturer should provide comprehensive instructions so that you can make the most out of the equipment. A self-calibration feature is one thing that will make the product user-friendly as you won’t have to make adjustments on your own.
- Grow Room Size: Before you decide which one to buy, you first need to know the measurements of the grow room. CO2 regulators are limited in terms of the size of the area at which they can deliver optimal functionality. If it is bigger, you might need to install more than one CO2 monitor.
- Sensor: One of the most important parts of the CO2 regulator is the sensor. This makes sure that the unit will turn on only when necessary, which is during the day. At night, it should automatically turn off on its own. Otherwise, you will only end up wasting CO2 and energy.
- Display: The display should be easy to see. Whether it is day or night, it should be right enough so that you can easily determine if the CO2 level is right. If not, you need to add more or have it lessened.
- Warranty: At the very least, you need to pick a product that comes with a one-year warranty. The longer is the warranty coverage, the better. This will make sure that the product is covered against defects and that you can rely on repair or replacement from the manufacturer once an issue arises, as long as it is not due to your negligence.
Now that you have reached the end of this best CO2 regulator guide, I hope that you are able to learn a thing or two on how to pick the right product. There are tons of options, but this does not go to show that any product will suffice. Take the time to evaluate their features and performance to have the assurance that they will positively impact the growth of the plants in your grow room.