Plants are like humans in many ways. Among others, we are similar in such a way that the right temperature and humidity levels are necessary to make us feel comfortable. That being said, it is also one of the most important components of a grow room.
In the rest of this best temperature and humidity controllers guide, we will list down some of the top brands and models available on the market. We’ll also briefly discuss the importance of temperature and humidity in the grow room, as well as the essential considerations when looking for the right controller.
Table of Contents
- What Happens When Temperature and Humidity are not Controlled?
- What is the Right Temperature and Humidity in the Grow Room?
- How to Pick the Best Temperature and Humidity Controller
- How to Effectively Manage Temperature and Humidity in the Grow Room
- Our Top Picks for the Best Temperature and Humidity Controllers
What Happens When Temperature and Humidity are not Controlled?
Many home growers might have hesitations using a temperature and humidity controller, thinking that they are nothing but a waste of money. Although some can be expensive, truth is, it is an investment that you will need. This will increase the chances of success in gardening, providing an assurance that your plant will not die.
When the temperature in the grow room is too high, the tendency is that the air will be able to hold more water vapor. It will also move faster, and in turn, will increase the level of humidity. The plants can get sticky. On the other hand, when the temperature is low, air will be able to hold less water vapor. The humidity will also be lower.
If humidity and moisture are too much, one of the problems that can be apparent is rotting. White mold can also develop on the leaves, which can affect the quality of the yield. If there is too little humidity, on the other hand, the growth will be stagnant and the plant will be unable to receive the nutrients that are essential to its survival.
To add, if there is too much humidity in the grow tent, this could prevent the plants from taking in carbon dioxide, which is vital for its health. This will prevent photosynthesis from happening.
In a nutshell, when the temperature or the humidity is above or below the right levels, the plants will suffer. Pests and diseases can be a big problem. The yield can be lesser. Worst, plants can die.
What is the Right Temperature and Humidity in the Grow Room?
- 20 Stealth Grow Box Ideas: Indoor And Outdoor Grow Ideas (Best Diy Stealth Grow Box 2021)
- Top 5 Best 2-in-1 Grow Tents: Top Two Room Grow Tents 2021
- Best Smell Proof Grow Tents 2021: How to smell proof a grow box
- Midwest Mushroom Grow Kit Review: www.midwestgrowkits.com Substrate Jars and Spawn Bag Guide
The right temperature in a grow room will also depend on a number of factors. For instance, this could be affected by its location and the plants that you are cultivating. In the case of cannabis, the temperature should be ideally from 68 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. When the plants are older, they can handle a temperature that is up to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. This is when the lights are turned on.
On the other hand, when the lights in a grow room are turned off, the ideal temperature should be anywhere from 62 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind as well that the temperature during the day and night should not have too much of a difference.
Meanwhile, for the right level of humidity, keep an eye on the stage of growth of the plant. If they are seedlings or clones, the right humidity should be anywhere from 70 to 75%. For the vegetative stage, on the other hand, it should be from 50 to 70%. During the flowering stage, see to it that the humidity is kept at 40 to 50%. Finally, when it is about ready for harvest, the humidity should be anywhere from 45 to 50%.
How to Pick the Best Temperature and Humidity Controller
As you start shopping, take note that the products that we are talking about in this post are different from temp controlled box mods. You might also encounter the words temp control tank. The latter is a product for vaping while those that are mentioned in this guide are for gardening.
- Ease of Use: Make sure that it comes with a user-friendly design, which will allow you to set the desired temperature without the need to exert effort.
- Durability: See to it that it is made of long-lasting materials. One of the most important is to have an enclosure, often made of plastic, which will offer protection from external factors that could cause damage to the internal components.
- Display: A good choice would be one that comes with an easy to see the display, which should show the current temperature/humidity as well as the temperature/humidity that you have set.
- Alarm: The controller must make a loud sound to immediately notify you once the temperature/humidity has exceeded or gone below the threshold that you have set.
- Warranty: Most of the options that we have listed down in this post have a warranty that lasts from one to three years. It will be good if the product has a longer warranty against defect so that you can be confident about its quality.
How to Effectively Manage Temperature and Humidity in the Grow Room
Before we proceed with the list of our recommended products, allow me to share with you some valuable tips on how to manage the temperature and humidity to make sure that it will optimize the growth of plants in an enclosed environment:
- Sealing and insulating the room will prove to be necessary. This will provide an assurance that the temperature inside will be maintained and will not be affected by the temperature outside. Heat won’t be able to escape, so as the cold. Otherwise, there can be fluctuations in temperature that will be beyond your control.
- Air movement will also be critical. This is why you will need to install fans that will provide the necessary ventilation. Even floor fans will help. You should know when to turn on the fans and when to turn them off. Pay attention as well to oscillation, making sure that the air moves.
- Be careful about the use of grow lights. While they are indeed necessary for photosynthetic activity in the case of plants that do not receive sunlight, they could also add up to the heat. This can cause a rise in temperature that can affect the health of the plants. Make sure to choose grow lights that do not make the grow room hot.
- It is also recommended that you use a humidifier/dehumidifier in the grow room, depending on whether the humidity is too high or too low. One of the keys to the success of this step is to size it properly. Otherwise, it will only end up wasting electricity without doing anything good to your plants.
- You can also use heating and cooling equipment to control the temperature in the grow room. A heat mat or a heater fan can be a great choice if you want to increase the temperature. On the other hand, if you want it to be lower instead, you can use a compact air-conditioner or a circulator fan.
Our Top Picks for the Best Temperature and Humidity Controllers
If you are looking for the perfect product that you can use in your grow room, here is a rundown of some of the options that you might want to consider.
1. Inkbird ITC-308 Temperature Controller
Whether it is for greenhouse, fermentation, seed germination, or aquariums, among others, this is one product that will prove to be an effective choice for the best temperature controller. It has a plug-and-play design, which will make it user-friendly. The set-up and operation will be effortless on your end. The temperature calibration also contributes to its ease of use.
One of its features is the dual temperature display. One section will display the current temperature while the other one will show the temperature that you have set, making it easy to monitor the difference.
There is an audible warning that will provide an immediate notification once the temperature is below or above what you have earlier set.
This product comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
2. Inkbird AC 110V Humidity Controller with Sensor
This is made by the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, with the only difference being the fact that this is a humidity controller and not a temperature controller. It also has plug-and-play functionality that makes it user-friendly.
With the use of this product, it will be possible to automatically switch from humidification to dehumidification and vice versa. You just have to set the desired humidity and the controller will work on its own.
There is also an alarm so that you can be immediately warned when the humidity is above or below the value that you have earlier set.
Its high-quality construction is also one of the reasons why it is a top pick for the best humidity controller. Through the years, you can expect that it can deliver the same great quality.
3. Auto Pilot Master Digital Timer
An all-inclusive controller, versatility is one of the biggest selling points of this product. There are four devices that you can control simultaneously with its use.
This product features a dual-timer function. Aside from the 24-hour timer that controls the lighting, it also comes with a recycling timer.
One of the most notable features that you can find in this product is the high temperature shutdown. When it is able to detect that the temperature in the grow room is too high, it will automatically shut down the lights.
Meanwhile, with the hot start protection, the lamp will cool down first before it restarts.
You will have the freedom to set the integrated timer from one second to 96 hours.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering a three-year warranty for this product.
4. Titan Zephyr 1 Temperature Controller
The temperature in grow rooms should be different during the day and during the night. Fortunately, with the use of this product, you can control the temperature depending on the time. The range of temperature that you can set is anywhere from 55 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
One thing that you will love in this product is the plastic enclosure. With the latter, it offers protection to the internal components against dust and moisture, among other elements that could speed up its wear.
In the U.S. and Canada, this is an ETL-listed product, which means that it passed quality control and has been approved for commercial use.
Lastly, this product comes with a three-year warranty.
5. Titan Controls Digital Environmental Controller
Made by the same manufacturer as the product above, this model does not only control temperature but also humidity and other environmental factors that will have an impact on the growth of plants in an enclosed environment.
It has a 15-foot remote sensor, which is the one that is responsible for monitoring temperature, humidity, and even the level of carbon dioxide.
One feature that we loved about this model is the LCD display. This makes it easy to monitor the temperature and humidity in the grow room. There are also color-coded push buttons that will be easy for you to program.
There is a data logging feature that allows you to input the maximum and minimum temperature and humidity depending on the requirements of the plant.
To have peace of mind, it is good to know that it is covered for three years. Plus, it also has a plastic enclosure to help extend its service life.
Indeed, gardening can be frustrating, especially if you do not know how to do it right. Fortunately, we are living in a tech advanced era and we have innovative products to make our lives easier, including those that have been mentioned in this best temperature and humidity controllers guide.
With the products that have been mentioned in this post, it will be easy to make sure that the temperature and humidity levels remain based on what is best for the plants that you have in the grow room. It requires lesser effort on your part since you do not have to do constant monitoring. The right tools will do the job on your behalf!