Growing marijuana indoors requires the use of the best grow light bulb, which will provide a supplement for natural sunlight. It is important for photosynthetic activity and in ensuring the health of the plant from seedling to harvest. Regardless of the marijuana growing medium you are using, whether it is soil or hydroponics, among others, a light bulb is a must-have.
Remember, it is important to pay attention to the quality of the light bulb that will be used in your grow room basically because of its huge impact on the productivity of your indoor garden. That being said, read on and we’ll let you know some of the top products worth taking into account, as well as important things that you have to know about the light bulbs for growing marijuana.
Table of Contents
- Best LED Grow Light Bulb
- Best CFL Grow Light Bulb
- Best Metal Halide Grow Bulbs
- Best Bulb for Flowering
- Best Grow Bulbs for Hydroponic Systems
- Best Bulbs for Growing Plants: Different Types Available
- LED vs CFL vs HID Grow Light Bulbs
- Types of Grow Light Bulb Sockets
- Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Bulbs for Growing Weed
- Wrap Up
Best LED Grow Light Bulb
#1 Outcrop Innovations 100w Indoor LED Grow Light Bulb
Equipped with many LED lights, this is an excellent grow light to induce leaf growth and flowering of marijuana. It emits 460 to 470nm of blue light and 620 to 660nm of red light. Based on the specifications from the manufacturer, the use of this light can lead to an increase in yield by as much as 20 to 50%.
It fits a standard E27 socket, which is why it can also be praised for being easy to use.
The light bulb has a rated lifespan of 50,000 hours.
Q&A: Does it come with a system for hanging?
When you receive the light, it is already inclusive of four wires, which will provide you with the freedom to hang it wherever you want. However, because this is an E27 bulb, it can easily fit if you have an existing standard socket.
Q&A: What is the ideal coverage of this lamp?
It will be best to use this in a space that is 16 inches by 16 inches. If you have a larger grow room, you will need to add more lights to make sure that it emits enough energy based on the needs of the plants. Red light is also more important for flowering, a stage that is of critical concern amongst cannabis cultivators.
Best CFL Grow Light Bulb
#2 Sunblaster 26-watt CFL Grow Bulb Review
This pack is already inclusive of four CFL light bulbs with 26 watts of power. It has a standard design, which makes it user-friendly. All that you have to do is to screw it in a standard socket and it will be ready to provide the light a grow room needs.
With 6,400 Kelvins, this is able to easily replicate the full spectrum of the natural sunlight to encourage the healthy growth of the marijuana you are cultivating.
The rated life of the bulbs is 10,000 hours.
Q&A: How close should the light be positioned to the plants?
This is one thing that will depend on a number of factors. For instance, one of the most important is the growth stage of the plant. When they are still seedlings, it will be good to place the lamp at least 2.5 feet away from the top of the plant, which will prevent the plant from absorbing too much heat.
Q&A: What is the color of the light?
The light that is produced by this light bulb is stark white.
Best Metal Halide Grow Bulbs
#3 Apollo Horticulture GLBMH400 Metal Halide Grow Light Bulb Review
This is a 400-watt bulb that is capable of producing as much as 36,000 lumens. The metal halide spectrum from this light is highly recommended during the vegetative stage of the growth of the marijuana.
However, one important thing to note about this product is that it is an E39 bulb, which means that its base is not the same as the traditional light bulbs, which is E27. This makes the installation quite complicated since you will need a new base.
Based on the specifications from the manufacturer, the expected lifespan of this grow light bulb is only 10,000 hours.
Q&A: Does it work with any ballast?
The manufacturer states that this will work with any existing ballast. You just have to make sure that the wattage of the ballast is not lower than the wattage of the light bulb. It will work even with a dimmable digital ballast.
Q&A: What is the color temperature of this light bulb?
The technical specifications state that this is a 4200-Kelvin light bulb. At such a rating, the light it emits is best for the vegetative stage of your plant.
Best Bulb for Flowering
#4 ABI 12W Deep Red LED Bloom Booster Grow Light Blub Review
If you are looking for the best grow light bulb that is made specifically to induce the flowering of marijuana, this is definitely one option that you should include on your list. This 12-watt light bulb delivers 600nm of red light, which will be instrumental in improving the flowering stage of the plant. During the bloom phase, it encourages better and healthier growth of flowers.
The bulb comes with a three-year warranty from the manufacturer.
The manufacturer also states that the rated service life of this grow light bulb is 50,000 hours.
Q&A: Does it easily get hot?
One of the best things that you can expect from this product is that it does not generate a lot of heat, even if you leave it turned on for an extended period. This is basically because of the heat sink that prevents the surface from getting extremely hot. Even if it is close to the plant, it will not cause serious burns.
Q&A: Can it also be used for vegetative growth?
As it has been noted above, this is a red lamp. Because of this, it is best only for the flowering stage as it is what it is made to do. Choose another lamp for the vegetative stage to be sure that it supplements the light that the plant needs.
Best Grow Bulbs for Hydroponic Systems
#5 Esbaybulbs Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Bulb
If you have a hydroponic system, this is the light bulb that will be perfect for your needs. This light comes with 12 LEDs, three of which are blue and nine are red. The blue light has 400 to 470nm while the red light has 610 to 720nm. It gives extra boost for the light that the plant needs in an indoor environment.
The light is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, which is reflective of its durability. It also comes with an innovative heat sink, which will prevent the light bulb from getting hot even with extended use.
For your peace of mind, it comes with the standard 1-year warranty from the manufacturer. However, if you register online, you will enjoy an additional six months for the warranty. The company also provides 24/7 customer assistance.
The rated lifespan of the bulb is 50,000 hours.
Q&A: Does it fit a standard socket?
Yes, this light will fit an E26 socket. This means that there is no more need for complicated installation if you already have an existing set-up.
Q&A: Why is blue light lesser than the red lights?
Both red and blue lights are important for the growth of the plant. However, it is believed that red lights are better when it comes to improving the photosynthetic activity and growth of the plant. This is probably the reason why this bulb has more red lights compared to blue lights.
Best Bulbs for Growing Plants: Different Types Available
As you try to make the right decision, one of the first things that you have to be familiar with would be the different types of grow bulbs that are available. That being said, here are some of the choices that are available:
- Single-Ended Light Bulbs: As the name implies, it comes with a single end, which attaches directly to the socket, often connected to a reflector or hood that maximizes the light that is reflected.
- Double-Ended Light Bulbs: Contrary to the light bulb that has been mentioned above, there are two ends that connect to two different sockets. It usually has a more powerful light output, which makes it a great choice if you have a big grow room. It is also more expensive compared to its counterpart.
LED vs CFL vs HID Grow Light Bulbs
When searching for the best grow light bulb, LED, CFL, and HID are three of the words that you will often encounter. They actually refer to different kinds of light bulbs. This section will quickly explore the similarities and the differences between the three.
- LED Grow Bulbs: If there is one thing that many people love about LED, it would be the fact that it is the most energy-efficient from the three types that are available. They also remain cool even when left turned on for an extended period. The initial cost of acquiring LED, on the other hand, can be quite steep for some users.
- CFL Grow Bulbs: Compact Fluorescent Lighting are cheaper, but they are also less powerful when compared to the two types. It is known for generating a minimal amount of heat, which makes it a great choice when starting the plant. If you are looking for the best light bulb for clones, CFL will be an unmatched choice.
- HID grow Bulbs: This can be further divided into two: High-Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide Bulbs. They are a favorite amongst weed cultivators because of the amount of the usable light that they are able to produce. The growth rate is also the fastest with this light bulb. However, you will need a special type of ballast and hood for this type.
Types of Grow Light Bulb Sockets
It is also important to be familiar with the different sockets or bases that are available. The end of the light bulb must perfectly fit on the base when it is screwed. In this case, these are the options that are available:
- E12: Also known as the candelabra, this is the smallest screw base for a grow light bulb. This also tends to be weak, making it great only for clones or for seedlings.
- E17: This is a size that is popular in Europe and in China. As with the other bulbs that are mentioned in this guide, E stands for Edison while the number stars for the millimeter of the base of the light.
- E26: This is the standard size of the light bulb socket, which makes it the most popular in North America. In Europe, its equivalent is the E27. Aside from grow rooms, it has a wide array of applications, such as general lighting fixture at home.
- E39: The E39 is used in North America and the E40 is in Europe. They can be used interchangeably as there is only 1mm difference. If you need grow light bulbs with a powerful output, this is what you should choose.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Bulbs for Growing Weed
When choosing from the products that are available on the market, here are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
Wattage: How many led watts per weed plant?
You need to consider the size of the grow room and the plants that are inside to determine the right wattage of the light bulb to buy. For a small grow room with only one or a few plants, you will already be good with a light that has a minimal wattage. If the grow tent is large, you need a more powerful light or use several light bulbs.
Spectrum: What is the best color spectrum for weed plant?
More often than not, the light can be red, blue, or a combination of both. Consider the stage of the plant to determine the spectrum that is best. If it is solely for flowering, red is the most important.
Ease of Use: How to build a grow room?
For the light bulb to be user-friendly, one of the most important is to have the right socket. The standard socket is E27, which means that compatibility will not be a problem. In some cases, you need to install a new socket that will fit the light that you will be using.
Heat: How to prevent heat stress in weed?
When choosing the best bulbs for growing plants indoors, you also need to think about the amount of heat that it can generate. Choose a light bulb that stays cool even when used for a long time, which means that it will not cause stress to the plant. Also, pay attention to the height of the light when it is installed.
Energy-Efficiency: What type of light is best for growing weed indoors?
This is important if you have a large grow room, especially if you are a commercial cultivator. Look for grow light bulbs with Energy-Star certification, which means that it uses less electricity in the absence of compromising performance.
Warranty: What makes a good grow light?
This is important if you want to have peace of mind. The longer the warranty is, the better. This means that if it becomes defective, in accordance with the terms and conditions from the manufacturer, they can have it repaired or replaced.
The best grow light bulb is a must-have when growing marijuana in an indoor environment. The plants will be deprived of the natural sunlight that the sun can provide, which is why there should be a bulb that can supplement such. Not all bulbs, however, are created the same. Pay attention to the products that have been discussed above to choose the right bulb for your grow room.