They are tremendously small to observe with the naked eye while to see an individual mite magnification lens is complimentary having a minimum of 14X power. Due to their minute size, noticed only when sizeable damage is already done. Their presence causes the removal of cell contents from the leaves, fruits, and tender stems when they are present enormously on the damaged leaves resulting in the russeting of leaves that further leads to yellow or brown spotting of the leaves. Foliage visibly becomes brittle and may occasionally break from the leaf petiole whereas their presence on the stem turns it into an insignificant bronze color. The suppression in the flower bud growth and size is observed upon infestation if not handled when they attacked the plant’s upper foliage. If not properly treated, russet mite damages the entire foliage of your plants. Immediate response is needed when such symptoms begin to appear on the gardening plant before it spreads all around. The best possible treatment that can lead to getting rid of russet mites includes the following.
Table of Contents
- How to get rid of russet mites on cannabis plant
- #1 CONSERVE – Naturalyte Insect Control (Chemical – Editors’ Choice)
- #2 Predatory Mites – Neoseiulus californicus (Natural – Editors’ Choice)
- #3 Amblyseius swirskii-ULTIMITE sachets by Natural Enemies
- #4 Yellow Sulfur Powder Greenway Biotech
- #5 Abamectin 0.15 Ec Generic Avid-Quart
- #6 Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract by Garden Safe
- #7 Green Cleaner Sprayer Home Pest Control
- What are Russet Mites?
- Where do mites come from?
- How to prevent russet mites?
- How to kill russet mites naturally?
- Can russet mites live on humans?
How to get rid of russet mites on cannabis plant
#1 CONSERVE – Naturalyte Insect Control (Chemical – Editors’ Choice)
Add 2 ounces of this concentrate in 1 gallon of water and spray your edible plants thoroughly using a mist sprayer in the way that the plants’ foliage is completely washed. Organic products are safe to spray until the time of harvest in your organic garden.
#2 Predatory Mites – Neoseiulus californicus (Natural – Editors’ Choice)
#3 Amblyseius swirskii-ULTIMITE sachets by Natural Enemies
#4 Yellow Sulfur Powder Greenway Biotech
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons near the stem of the plants and water. Its slow-release product and will eliminate russet mite on Cannabis along with enhancing the vigor of the plants.
#5 Abamectin 0.15 Ec Generic Avid-Quart
Add 2.5 ml of the Abamectin in 1 gallon of water and spray the entire plant foliage using a high-pressure hand-held sprayer. Repetition can be done after 15 days provided the infestation continues on your vegetables and fruit plants.
#6 Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract by Garden Safe
Add 2 ounces in 1 gallon of water using a mist sprayer to spray on the vegetable plants including tomatoes and peppers to get rid of russet mites immediately. Preferable spray timing is in the evening. Water your plants immediately after spraying to avoid any sort of stress.
#7 Green Cleaner Sprayer Home Pest Control
Add 1-2 ounces of green cleaner in 1 gallon of water and spray on all parts of the plants including foliage, floral parts, tender shoots and stem whereas it is safe to spray on the day of harvest, even.
What are Russet Mites?
Russet mites are minute, microscopic pests living beneath the surface of the leaves on in the lower foliage that measure around 0.17 mm to 0.22 mm when fully developed. Russet mite identification is only possible using a microscope but their colonies can be seen with the naked eyes upon heavy infestations on the lower foliage that start moving upward to infest upper foliage and buds in the Cannabis. Being sucking pests, they suck sap from the leaf tissues causing stunting & inability to produce healthy buds on the hemp. The most common symptoms associated with their infestations are yellowing in the leaves, weaker stems and upward curling of the leaves margins that appear wet in the beginning and die ultimately. Adult russet mites have pale fawn body color and are capable to lay 10-50 in a single day depending on the temperature and humidity. Russet mite eggs are round and clear that are laid on the undersides of the leaves and plant curvatures on the Cannabis whereas the egg-laying starts in the spring that continues to increase with the surrounding temperatures. Passing through two developmental stages, Russet mites become adult in 10-15 days while their average life cycle comprises of 30 days under favorable conditions (80 F).
Where do mites come from?
There are several ways that favor russet mites to enter your indoor gardens to infest your plants. They are adaptable to overwinters in the form of eggs. Hatching starts on getting favorable conditions in the spring. Their infestation on the greenhouse plants is possible from the edges or corners or with the materials brought from outside into your space. Other possible reasons to infest your garden include already infested seedling, migration through birds, water splashes and birds, potting soil and mixtures brought into your garden.
How to prevent russet mites?
These tips will definitely help you to stop the flare of Russet mites on both outdoor and indoor gardening environments;
- Upon heavy infestations, heat your grow room to 115°F for continuously one hour as Russet mites can’t survive on these temperatures but take care as any extraordinary fluctuations may have adverse effects on your Cannabis plants such as heat stress or burning.
- Sterilize your greenhouse or gardening soil to kills pathogens and russet mites’ eggs using steam whereas in the open field direct exposure to sunlight will also help stop their infestation.
- Avoid using infected gardening tools and accessories along with gardening potting mixtures that may carry eggs.
- Always work on the early detection methods to see any possible signs of infestation on the leaves near stem in outdoor farming and middle foliage in the indoor growing.
- Continue removing all infested leaves, tender shoots and stems and the entire plants on noticing heavy infestations including the undecomposed organic litter and debris.
- Always work on the hygiene of your grow space with your focus on the plant health by feeding them with the proper nutrient solutions avoiding excessive nitrogen applications.
- Introduce beneficial nematodes & predatory mites just before temperatures begin to rise in the gardening area.
While growing indoors, be careful about the use of insecticides that have residual effects or fumigates that can affect the health of workers but always choose natural & organic techniques without compromising health. What kills mites is not an issue rather how to kill russet mites is more important that depends on your choice and need;
How to kill russet mites naturally?
#8 Safer Diatomaceous Earth
#9 Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%
#10 All Seasons Horticultural Oil Spray Ready To Spray
Can russet mites live on humans?
Russet mites don’t have such evidence to live on humans but they can come in contact with humans causing irritations or annoyance when present in the great numbers. These irritations can be on the skin but they are not associated with the harmful or viral diseases since they don’t transmit such problems.