Growing plants can be frustrating, especially if you are a beginner. You need to pack a lot of patience! While some people might opt to start with seeds, there is a better alternative that you might want to consider – the use of the best cloning gel.
Cloning is a technique that has been popular amongst marijuana growers. It is quicker and more efficient as against the traditional method, which is through seeds. With cloning, there is also no need to sex the plants as they grow.
It is important to note, however, that cloning does not apply to weed alone. You can use cloning gels even on other plants to speed up their development.
We spend hours of research and even asked a couple of growers to come up with the list of the top options, which will be further discussed in the rest of this best cloning gel guide. You’ll know not only the top options available but also the basics of cloning. Read on and be an informed buyer through the insights that we will be sharing.
Table of Contents
- What is a Cloning Gel?
- Top 8 Best Cloning Gel 2020 with Reviews
- What are the Benefits and Drawbacks of a Cloning Gel?
- What are the Types of Cloning Mediums?
- How to Use Cloning Gels
- How to Ensure the Growth of Clones
- What are the Natural Alternatives to Cloning Gels?
What is a Cloning Gel?
At its most basic, a cloning gel has one main purpose – to grow roots out of your plant clippings. The roots will be difficult to grow under normal conditions and will most probably take a long time. This makes it feasible to use a cloning gel to speed up the process. It facilitates the switch from the production of green stem cells to root cells. Quantity and quality will be both increased with the use of a cloning gel.
Top 8 Best Cloning Gel 2020 with Reviews
It is our goal to make your life a lot easier. You do not have to go through the tons of options and read other buying guides. Here, we are listing down some of the brands and models that should be on your list, as well as the reasons why they are great picks.
#1. (Editor’s Choice) Great White 100049823 4 oz
This powerful cloning gel from Great White will help you ensure you clones roots grow fast and strong and help lead to improved yields. Other pros of this product are that: it increases flowering and foliage growth; facilitates improved nutrient and water uptake, and;improves overall plant health for the whole of the growing process. The only downside is the cost, but you’ll be saving money on seeds once your cloning skills are honed.
#Cloning_Gel #Clones #Root_Growth #Yields #Cannabis
#2. (Water-Based Gel) HydroDynamics Clonex Rooting Gel, 100 ml
The major pros of this cloning gel are: its ability to form a strong seal around the stem which ensures the stem’s cut tissue is sealed and protected; its provision of hormones and nutrients that stimulate root development and growth, and;the introduction of vitamins that also help to protect new roots from damage. The downside of this product is that it is not a magic formula so you will still have to invest time learning how to clone properly.
#Cloning_Gel #Clones #Root_Growth #Yields #Cannabis
#3. Quick Clone Gel
With the use of this gel, all that you need to do is to take a healthy cutting from a plant that you would like to propagate and follow the instructions from the label. Don’t worry, it is sure to be easy!
One of the best things about this gel is its versatility. You can use it for a wide variety of plants and have the assurance of the best outcome. Whether it is for cannabis or roses, bamboo or bonsai, expect that it will be impressive.
It is also worth noting that it is made with the use of natural ingredients. The base is brewed tea, which is popular for its effectiveness in boosting the development of roots.
#4. Technaflora Rootech Gel for Plants
This 7-gram cloning gel takes pride of having an innovative recipe that makes use of powerful hormones that have been formulated to optimize the development of roots. It will also surround the stem with sustenance.
It is considered as one of the strongest on the market providing an assurance that it will work in different plants, not just for growing weed. This is because of the high concentration of the rooting hormone in this gel.
The ultra-thick and smooth gel does not contain hot spots. This prevents burning the plant tissues and young roots.
#5. Olivia’s Solution OCG1 Cloning Gel
This is another cloning solution that holds a lot of promise for new plantings. You will be able to feed new cuttings at the start of root development. This will also aid in the elimination of transplant shock. Your safety is not a thing to be worried about as it comes with a formulation that is proven to be safe.
Root development can be stimulated from new cuttings. Regardless of the plant that you intend to grow in the enclosed tent, this will work. Even for those that are grown outdoors, this will be effective. There is no need to start from seeds, making sure that the plant will be ready for harvest after a short period.
#6. Rx Green Solutions Life Cloning Gel
This is another choice that should not be ignored in your search for the best cloning solution. It has been scientifically-developed to come up with an effective formulation that will work in a wide array of plants.
As the manufacturer claims, their product can trigger root production at a rate that is 20% faster compared to what can be experienced from leading competitors. Also, it does not use synthetic chemicals. Rather, it makes use of naturally-occurring materials.
#7. Dyna-Gro Root Gel
This vitamin-hormone gel will be another ideal option for plant cloning. It has a special formulation that will allow you to propagate from cuttings instead of planting seeds. With this, frustrations will be lesser and plants can grow quickly.
The effectiveness of this product can be attributed to the ingredients that are used, which include essential minerals, IBA, NAA, and Vitamin B1. They work with each other to help speed up the growth of roots.
Tests have been conducted by Hawaiian propagators to evaluate its effectiveness. The results showed the roots growing by as much as two times compared to its original size.
#8. EZ Clone Rooting Compound
If you want to have a dense root that grows rapidly, this is definitely the product that you should be using. It is a water-based gel that provides a tight seal around the cutting to influence its growth. This is definitely faster as against to growing from seeds.
With full-spectrum vitamins and minerals, it is able to provide the essentials that the roots need in order to propagate.
This cloning gel comes in a package with a wide mouth opening. This makes it easy to take out the amount that you need and apply it to the roots.
What are the Benefits and Drawbacks of a Cloning Gel?
As it has been mentioned above, the most significant benefit of a cloning gel is that it speeds up the formation of the roots. It increases the success of the propagation. If you do not have a lot of patience, this will work best for you. Within a short time, you can successfully clone whatever is the plant that you are cloning.
Another benefit of cloning gel is that it protects the roots from infections when transplanting, increasing the likelihood that it will succeed. Shock is also removed when the clipping is transferred to a new location.
However, it is also worth noting that rooting gels also have drawbacks. The most serious is perhaps the fact that the root can be prone to rooting. This is especially true in the case of hydroponic systems. There are also times when the gel could easily fall off from the root, although this holds true only when you use a product with an inferior quality.
What are the Types of Cloning Mediums?
In my personal opinion, gel is the best cloning medium. It is easy to use and can be easily absorbed by the plant. It covers the root thoroughly and none will be put into waste.
Aside from gel, another cloning medium that you might want to consider is powder. It is the traditional option for many home gardeners. One of its biggest advantages is that it has a long shelf life. To use a cloning powder, you just have to cover the cutting by dipping it in the medium. Dip it in water first so that the powder will stick to the root.
There are also cloning mediums that are in liquid form, which can be either concentrated or ready-to-use. The latter is the more convenient option as it can be immediately applied to the clipping. This is unlike the concentrated form that needs to be diluted before use. Use individual containers for each clipping to reduce the likelihood of spreading an infection.
How to Use Cloning Gels
One of the most important factors that will influence the success of the clone is to do it right. With this, here are the simple steps that you will have to follow:
- The first thing that you need to do is to choose a healthy parent. If the root is in a healthy condition, there is a higher rate of success. Choose one that is disease-resistant to minimize frustrations in the future.
- Cut the clone and make sure that you do it right. If you cut a part that is not yet strong or healthy, this could significantly compromise the outcomes.
- Pour the gel into a container. The amount to pour will depend on the instructions from the manufacturer.
- Dip the roots in the gel that you have earlier poured in the container. The gel will automatically stick and cover the root. Do not dip the root in the actual container of the gel as this could contaminate the latter.
- Plant the cuttings in your growing medium of choice. Watch out for its growth, making sure that you pay attention to the proper care of the plant.
How to Ensure the Growth of Clones
While cloning gels can indeed prove to be effective, here are some tips that will increase the likelihood that the root will develop:
- The gel should be complemented with the use of the best light for clones. If they are planted in an enclosed environment, they need a sunlight supplement. On the first two days, light will not be needed. After which, it needs to receive at least 18 hours of sunlight in a day to support its healthy growth.
- When choosing a light, LED will be an excellent choice, which is not only effective but also energy-efficient and long-lasting. Also, during the initial stages, use blue light. Red light is best during the growth and flowering stage.
- Creating a moist and humid environment is another important thing in having successful clones. Having a dome or clear plastic on the top of the clone will help. Regularly check the temperature and see to it that it is between 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Good ventilation also plays a critical role in cloning. This is important to prevent the presence of molds and diseases that could harm the plants. If you have a dome lid, see to it that it has holes. Having a fan in the grow room will also help.
- When cutting the roots or when using any other tools that get in contact with the root, see to it that it is sanitized. If not, this could transfer pathogens that could lead to diseases.
- Within the first two weeks, be extra attentive to the clones. They are most sensitive at this stage and will need thorough care. Avoid overfeeding as they can be easily prone to shock.
- Avoid overwatering the clones as this could do more harm than good. Experts recommend spraying it with water only once every three days to keep the humidity. As it has successfully grown, you can increase the frequency of watering.
What are the Natural Alternatives to Cloning Gels?
If you ask serious gardeners about cloning, they will have a long list of suggestions on how to use it, including considering the use of cloning gels. While I do not personally advocate the use of natural cloning mediums, you might want to give them a try and see for yourself.
One alternative is the use of honey. It has anti-fungal and antiseptic properties, making it a great choice for a rooting hormone. It offers protection for the tender cuttings against the pathogens that could cause an infection.
A willow extract will also prove to be an effective choice for cloning. It contains salicylic acid and indole butyric acid. These are auxin hormones that can also ward off infections in the roots.
Although honey and willow extracts can prove to be promising, the problem with them is that they are not for people who are impatient. It might take a while before the root grows and success is not absolute. If you want a cloning solution that can promise a higher rate of success, I would say that gel is definitely the way to go.
After reading this best cloning gel guide, I hope that you can now easily decide which product will work the best. There is a long list of alternatives, but this does not mean that you can pick just any option. Take note of the things mentioned above and you will end up making a decision that you won’t regret.